So here it is…the way my lampshade looked prior to the makeover. It’s begging to be put out of its 1960s home design hell!
Accordion pleated lampshade, clearly a 1960s home design!
I needed a new lampshade in the hallway and I really didn’t want to come out of pocket for a new one, More
Honestly, I thought I would have to at least spend about 15 dollars for a lampshade ALONE, but I scored a whole lamp for 1 dollar…hello! Can anyone say deal of the century? I bought a roll of rope (2 dollars) that was also at the thrift shop since I felt like I wanted to wrap the lampshade and tear off the accordion pleats that presently surrounded it and make it look like those upscale lamps that I see in my rustic home decor catalogs.
So, I get home with my prize and start the breakdown process, I carefully cut the old shade off and like the manager suggested the dry rot was very prevalent under the shade, but that I could fix with some sturdy cloth that was the same color of the lamp. I also tried removing the glass base from the shade, but it was attached quite firmly, and I felt that if I tried to remove it I might ruin the whole thing altogether, so the glass body stays untouched. With a damp cloth, I gently wiped away the dust and the dirt from the entire lamp and I begin my repairs on the holes which weren’t too bad once I got started. This was definitely one of my more creative home designs and all I could do was hope for the best. So now it was time to get my rope situated around the shade and I brought out in addition to my glue, some silver hair clips to keep the rope in place while I continuously looped the rope over the glue. I did this in small parts because to do it in larger spaces meant it could create more issues and it just wasn’t worth the stress, I recommend that when you are gluing your rope on to the lampshade use a thick glue, since the one I started with was too thin and the rope kept slipping off. Now that the roping was all completed, I began to sand the very base of the lamp (the picture shows how it looked before the paint job), I had some pinkish colored metallic paint that I wanted to use to finish the look of the lamp. This part was little annoying because I had to put at least 5 coats of paint on it to get a decent cover up, but I got it done and after all the work, my lamp looked like it could cost a million dollars! (smile)